The combination of rkhunter and the latest stable Linux kernel has been giving me problems the last few days. Considering that I couldn’t find anything about this on the Internet, I guess it must be something special about my box. rkhunter makes my server hang when it gets to the part where it checks for hidden processes if I use the 2.6.26-3 kernel. If I use the same .config and make myself a 2.6.25-16 (the latest stable 2.6.25) rkhunter runs without problems.
While it is nice that I found the problem, it was a pain narrowing down the culprit. The last few days I had noticed that my server was dead in the water every morning and had at first suspected vmware, since I had installed that a few days ago on the server (and had to make a new kernel to get it running). Well, everything is fine now. Next time I have to update my kernel, I’ll remember to do a test run of /etc/cron.daily